Monday, June 13, 2011

Toe Tappin'

This morning's workout was another sweat inducing one:

30-minute treadmill interval workout that looked like this

Time Speed (mph)
1 min 4.0
4 min 6.0
30 sec 9.0
1 min 30 sec 4.2
30 sec 9.0
1 min 30 sec 4.2
30 sec 9.2
1 min 30 sec 4.2
30 sec 9.2
1 min 30 sec 4.2
30 sec 9.4
1 min 30 sec 4.2
30 sec 9.4
1 min 30 sec 4.2
30 sec 9.6
1 min 30 sec 4.2
30 sec 9.8
1 min 30 sec 4.2
30 sec 10.0
1 min 30 sec 4.2
30 sec 10.0
1 min 30 sec 4.2
3 min 6.0
2 min 3.5
 

Followed by 10 minutes on the elliptical and 10 minutes on the stationary bike.

So, as this post title hints at, I'm going to be tap dancing this fall :) YAY! I could not be more excited! I danced from age 6-16 and tap dancing was something that I absolutely fell in love with. I danced competitively for 6 years and one of my groups even placed 2nd overall at the American Dance Awards national competition.

Side note: while in NYC for that competition, all of the dancers took part in creating the world's longest kickline down Broadway for the Guinness Book of World Records (so fun, and we were on GMA!)
I stopped dancing when I was 16 because it was becoming too demanding and there was too much drama occurring at my studio. I never regretted my decision, but I did always wish that I could find a place that would allow me to keep dancing at a high level without competing. However I could never find something like that in Columbus, OH :(

Now that I'm in Boston though, I stumbled upon a new program that is for dancers age 18+. You go to a day of placement sessions where you perform small routines and are put in a group based on your level of skill. After that there are ten weeks of 1-hour classes where you learn a routine with your group. At the end of those weeks you have a performance! Ahh this is exactly what I have been missing. I recently went to my little cousin's dance recital, and it made me miss performing so much.

I love the fact that this won't be a huge time commitment. That is really important to me considering how much time I will be spending in class and studying. Also, I'm so excited to have an opportunity to meet some new people that share a similar passion! I'm going to have to whip out my tap shoes and start practicing this summer :) Tapping is such a good workout too, and yet you don't realize that you're even working hard because it's so much fun!

Here is a video from So You Think You Can Dance for those of you that aren't sure what tap dancing is!

Hope everyone is having a great Monday! I'm off to class soon to learn some more manual muscle testing and goniometry (measuring joint range of motion). Can't wait for the Bachelorette tonight :)

4 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, I LOVE that you are tap dancing! That is the cutest thing ever! My friend was in tap (as an adult) and watching her recital was so much fun! They should have more "kid" things that adults can sign up for, if you ask me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy moly girl you are speedy on the treadmill! I'm pretty sure I would fly off going faster than 9.5 mph haha
    That is so great you tap dance! I used to want to try that when I was younger because I loved the way the shoes sounded on the floor :) But I was terrible so that didn't last too long
    I am currently watching the Bachlorette, not my favorite season but still entertaining!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, we totally need more "kid" things for adults to sign up for! And Tessa, you could totally run that fast! It's not as bad especially if it's only for 30 seconds... Thank goodness Bentley is gone from the bachelorette!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I'm so jealous that you are going to start tap dancing again! I danced from the time I was three up until sophomore year of college, and tap was my favorite. I miss it!

    ReplyDelete