Thursday, June 16, 2011

Classroom Immaturity

Yay the Bruins won last night!! That calls for a celebratory day at the beach :)

Ok, so maybe not really a beach party...but soaking up the rays works for me :)

I got up this morning and went straight to the gym before eating breakfast. I don't normally do this, and now I can't decide which I prefer. I usually like to eat breakfast before working out because I feel like I have more energy...but this morning I had plenty of energy to complete an intense interval workout.

Hill and Speed Interval Workout


Minutes Speed Incline
2 4 0
3 5.5 0
1 3.5 8
1 6 8
1 3.5 9
1 5.7 9
1 3.5 10
1 5.5 10
1 4 0
0.5 9 0
1.5 4 0
0.5 9 0
1.5 4 0
0.5 9 0
1.5 4 0
1 3.5 9
1 5.5 9
1 3.5 10
1 5.3 10
1 4 0
0.5 9 0
1.5 4 0
0.5 9 0
2.5 4 0
2 3.5 0


I followed this with 15 minutes on the elliptical and then called it a day.

Since I was sweating like crazy, a cold breakfast was calling my name and I took some inspiration from Julie, and made a smoothie that included:

1 banana
Frozen strawberries and blueberries
1 scoop of vanilla whey protein powder
1 small spoonful of peanut butter
1 1/4 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk

Sorry, I was so hungry that I forgot to snap a picture :/. I can tell you that it was mighty delicious!


Classroom naughtiness ;)

I am currently an occupational therapy graduate student and this summer the one class I am taking is kinesiology. Kinesiology is the study of anatomy and the mechanics of body movement. A lot of what we are learning right now it how to measure joint range of motion and manually measure the strength of muscles at certain joints.

Manual Muscle Testing
Goniometry - measuring range of motion

On the first day our professor told us that we needed to wear tank tops to every class because:

"You guys are going to need to feel comfortable stripping down and touching each other"

Say what?? We all starting cracking up- and then our prof finally realized that what she had said sounded totally sexual and inappropriate. What she meant was that we were going to be practicing things on our classmates and having a tank top on would make it easier for us to identify bony landmarks and muscles. But, needless to say, there have been many more "dirty" comments because things sometimes just sound wrong and even though we are all "too old" to be thinking dirty thoughts, I think that immaturity can make learning fun ;) So here are some more quotes for you to enjoy. I'm a nerd, I know...

Here is something I told my roommate...and then I realized how wrong it sounded -

"I was trying to study, and then I got bored, so I started to palpate myself..."

Oh dear...just an fyi, palpate is another word for "touch" - you get the idea. Then we proceeded to think of it as a pick-up line that a guy could use:

"Can I palpate you later?"

Or if the guy is really naughty:

"You can measure near my bony prominence" ;)

Finally, yesterday in class our prof was talking about people who write with their left hand and how they flex their wrist when writing- apparently this is called a "hook". So she said-

"So when you see any hookers" 

Hi! I'm a hooker :)

Hahaha..oh my...there is some nerdy humor for you...I think it's entertaining, at least it is when my brain is fried from staring at a textbook. So anyway, I'm sorry if I have offended you, that was not my intention!

I'm off to the beach soon, I hope you all have a wonderful day :)

Do you prefer to eat breakfast before or after a morning workout?

Do you think that naughty humor can make learning more fun?

1 comment:

  1. Nice workout!! Love those HIIT workouts- they always kick my butt :)
    & that is too funny about what your professor said- I'm sure I would of been the same way..nice to be able to make a joke about stuff though ;)

    ReplyDelete